Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Post Racial


Before getting up to make dinner I put on some background noise for me and Erbear. Rather than get into the long "What do you wanna watch?" that always accompanies our trip to Ninjavideo, I blindly scrolled down the sidepane and clicked... Dancing with the Stars.

It was kind of a happy accident. Not because either of us like the show but it's something equally upbeat and lame that we wouldn't watch otherwise and so we got to kind of slip into a hackneyed, twilight version of ourselves for about 20 minutes.
Erbear was calling out the B-listers to me in the kitchen and I was surprised at how out of touch I'd gotten. I knew Macy Gray and Donnie Osmond (who strikes me as a sad, smiley man) but that was it. Erbear knew a few more but she could also see them.
Then, as the curry was boiling, a woman started singing.
I was cooking and half listening then thought 'she sounds black'. Then I thought 'err, is that racist?' and then all my reasons for thinking it didn't sound racist sounded racist. So I just asked if the woman was black and Erbear said 'No, she's not'.
I could feel the little jury in my head staring. One of them mouthed "Guilty". "Alright," I thought. "I'm a bad human, but you all thought the same thing."
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: